Thursday, November 05, 2009

Pain in the neck



I have such a pain in my neck. It's from sitting hunched over my laptop. Writing? A little. But mostly it's surfing and tweeting and trying to figure out how much promotion to do for Dreaming of Deliverance.

I remember when my former boss introduced me and my co-workers to the web. It was back in the mid-90s and he was telling us what we could do with it and all of the information we could find. "But you have to be careful," he said. "It's a real time suck." No kidding! I could explore self-promotion non-stop. There are so many options. Facebook fan pages. Twitter. Good Reads. Amazon author pages. Creating an on line presence in various forums. It's hard to know what to focus on, and where to stop. Because, although I know marketing and promotion are necessary--for any author, really, but especially for an independent author--I have other things I want and need to do. Like write, for example! Aren't I supposed to be a writer? So we're back to trying to find a balance again.

I'm going to podcast about this--today, maybe--at Unpublishednotdead.

Oh and if you want to check out Dreaming of Deliverance at podiobooks.com, you can! It's up here--episodes 1-7, anyway. And I had my first comment the other day from a podiobooks.com listener. Thanks so much, Gail!

No comments: