Saturday, December 11, 2010

Writing, accountability, and yes, I'm a scared little weeny!

Fearless Creating: A Step-by-Step Guide To Starting and Completing Your Work of Art
The Courage to Write: How Writers Transcend Fear   


This is a writing blog, dag nab it! Or at least it was when I started it way back when. In those old days I used the blog as an accountability tool to help me finish Dreaming of Deliverance. It really helped. But I've fallen out of the habit of blogging about writing.

I need to get back to it! Well, maybe not about blogging about writing, but writing itself, for sure. More and more people are asking me about DoD's sequel, which is awesome. Plus I want to immerse myself in that story telling mindset again. I tend to get distracted by voice work, hungry children, etc., but I need to write too!

So, I'm making a commitment to write lots in 2011. It's not a New Year's Resolution. I'm not as anti-resolutions as Lipstick Lady, aka Wyo of the awesome blog Temporary Digression of the Spotted Kind, but I don't tend to set them because it's almost a cliché how ineffective they are. But I am joining a Facebook group called "25 Stories 52 Weeks Challenge". Now I'm not planning to write 25 stories this year. I'm going to work on my novels. But I will make some kind of writing commitment, whether word count or time spent writing, I haven't decided which.

What this means is that I have to face the almost crippling fear I feel when it comes to writing and story telling. Why I'm such a weenie about this sort of creating, I have no idea, but I am. I've pushed through the fear countless times before, however. I know I can do it again! Still, I'd better break out my copies of Fearless Creating and The Courage to Write. (Yes, I really get that scared of this stuff. Pathetic, huh? Probably another reason I haven't blogged about writing recently! It's embarrassing!)

So, who's with me? Kael? Craig? Wyo? Tony? Here's a link to the group, so you can sign up!

25 Stories 52 Weeks

1 comment:

craig, the non-psychiatrist said...

I am li'l old craig, and not Sigie Freud, but I wish to explore this fear. What aspect of the creative process scares you? You have eliminated one big fear - that you cannot be good - w/ DoD. You could (needlessly) fear not duplicating 'it' (aka F Scott F), but it's unlikely you can't knock another one out'a the park. I personally feel a pressure of procrastination which repels me from writing like similarly charged magnet ends. This repulsion only last up till I start tapping on the keys, fortunately, and once I do, I'm having fun and productive. So, name your fear! Wait, I may start a reality-TV show....