Cindy tagged me, but it took me a couple of days to figure out what that meant. Whoops! Sorry about that. But better late than never, I suppose. So, without further ado, here are some of my thoughts on the Christmas season.
1. Eggnog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate. Although my sister's eggnog lattés are pretty good too!
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? Santa wraps everything--including the stocking gifts!
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? We have colored twinkly lights on our tree, but white outside.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? Not usually.
5. When do you put your decorations up? We put some up the weekend after T-giving. We're doing the tree this weekend.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Stuffing. Yum!
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Well, nothing as good as Cindy's pony! (Wow!) But I remember one Christmas my sister and I woke up around 4 in the morning and tiptoed out to see the tree. It was so exciting to see all of those presents. We were too jazzed to go back to sleep, so we lay in bed and listened to my Grandpa tell us stories to distract us until it was time to get up. He was an actor, and a great story teller and it was so much fun being up in the dark, with presents only a couple of hours away, listening.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I asked my mom point blank when I was five, and she told me the truth. Both of my kids (ages 7 and 5) still believe, and I wish they would ask so I can finally tell them and stop feeling so torn between the fun and magic of perpetuating the myth, and the guilt I feel about lying to them.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? When I was a kid--never. Everything was on Christmas. But now we celebrate Christmas Eve at my husband's grandma's house and open presents there.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? There's no theme, and it's certainly not designer. Our tree is covered with a hodgepodge of ornaments from my childhood and ones we've accumulated since we were married. I think our tree always turns out beautifully, but it wouldn't win any awards!
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love it because we don't have to live with it! It doesn't snow often here, and when it does, it doesn't last for more than a few hours. We live close enough to the mountains that we can easily go visit the snow whenever we feel like playing in it!
12. Can you ice skate? It's been years, but I think I could still make it around a rink. I've never ice-skated on a frozen pond, but I'd love to do that someday.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Hmm--I don't think I could pick just one. My ten-speed bike when I was seven was very exciting, as was my Walkman when I was 13. Recently, it was probably the pendant that my husband had re-set with a diamond of my grandmother's that had been on a very old fashioned pin, I never wore. It's beautiful and I loved that he thought to do that for me.
14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Sharing with family. I love the tradition of it all.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Apple pie, alamode--although, I also love pumpkin pie. Usually, I have a sliver of each.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Christmas Gift! It's hard to explain, but it's something my dad's side of the family does. The goal is to be the first person to say "Christmas Gift" on Christmas day to another member of the family. Basically, you want to remember to do it before they remember. Some years there's lots of plotting to distract the other person so they forget all about Christmas Gift and you can "get them" first.
17. What tops your tree? An angel ornament.
18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving? Giving. (Really. Honest!)
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? I have two. "Sleigh Ride" and "O Holy Night"
20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? I used to like them a lot, but now they taste too sugary for me. Now fudge on the other hand, is not a problem!
I'm going to tag my dear friend wyo even though she certainly doesn't need me to give her a topic to blog about, and Karenna in the hopes that it might prompt her to post an update. :o)