Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Making Connections

I have even less time this morning than usual, so I'm going to make this brief. We leave in 48 minutes for our last day on safari. We stayed near Lake Manyara last night and saw lots more great animals. My favorites were the black-faced monkeys. They are so cute and a group of them, including several babies, played, foraged, etc. so close to where we were parked watching them. Once again I probably took way too many pictures, but it's hard to stop photographing so many great moments!

But the highlight by far was the trip to the Maasai village. I'm not going to say much about it right now because I just don't have enough time to adequately describe what happened, but I ended up making a connection with some people with such a different life from the one I lead, and it was quite an incredible feeling. It didn't happen during the official tour, but afterward. Nice tease, huh? I will tell you all about it soon, I promise!

I think making connections is so important not only in real life, but in storytelling as well. I wrote something here about my experiences as a first-timer to Tanzania that all fit together really well. I don't mean to brag, other writers I know can relate--sometimes what you are doing all connects perfectly and it's so exciting when it does.
That's something else, however, that I'll have to tell you more about in a future entry, because we leave in 1/2 an hour for Tarangire National Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarangire_National_Park) and I still need to grab some breakfast.

More soon!

2 comments:

craig said...

So Ep 24 had an intolerable teaser, now the blog does too? Are you going to switch to the suspense genre next? Seriously, glad you're having a time of it, and bring one of those monkeys home for me, they sound cute....

Renée (R.E.) Chambliss said...

Gotta keep people interested! But in this case it really was a time issue. It took me awhile to write the Maasai entry--even back here at home. My computer time was super limited in Tanzania--too limited to do it justice.